beeswax

beeswax

February 20th, 2012

sweet tobacco, honey, flowery, powdery that’s what it says how beeswax absolute smells. I would add “dark”, animalic and musky. It is a waxy, hard material at room temperature and you have to melt it in a water bath (gently) in order to be able to pour it. That’s what the bottle label you see in today’s picture looks a bit worn. You can get it for instance from Biolandes. I got mine from Essencia, 100 gr, with certificate of analysis, confirming that except for 0.01% Benzyl alcohol it does not contain any components that need to be declared in accordance with the EU 76/768/EWG, attachement III/1 (allergens) regulations. Thus, it is a very safe to use product.

But not easy to use. First it is rather strongly colored, reddish almost. Then it needs careful dosage, I  think, as the tobacco honey animalic note becomes very easily overpowering. I would say it is somewhere in the middle between a heart and a head note. Some of the sweetness may even expand into the fragrance body. In a sense, I think, it should be used like an animalic extract, a modifier in a sense, in low dosage, adding a musky sweetness.

I have not used it in any fragrance so far. But I used it recently, in a context that I would describe as “noir”, animalic, leathery, head notes related, and if you look closely at today’s picture you can see that the 100 ml beeswax bottle is part of a larger picture. I cropped the larger part of this picture that I took when I mixed this somewhat dark fragrance. I mixed enough for a few hundred purse spray size bottles. I am doing something quite special with it.  I will continue talking about it soon: Stay tuned. Thank you.

21 Responses to “beeswax”

1. Persolaise says:

Back in teasing mode, eh?

I love beeswax so I can’t wait to see what you’ve done with it.

Here’s a question for you. Is there a material that you really loved in the early years of your perfume-making but you don’t use so much any more?

2. ANDY says:

fragrant greetings, Persolaise
    actually, the beeswax is a side note, an enhancing note in this fragrance. It is a hint, a whiff of animalic muskiness.
    Well, I would not really say teasing: let’s say… early announcing mode….

Here’s the answer to your question. Yes, I used to work with birchtar and loved it so much. This love found its climax in Lonestar Memories. Since then I have not used it anymore… up to recently when I composed and created this fragrance that I am talking about now and in the coming days.
    Enjoy your day and thank you for your question!

3. Kirsten says:

Oh! Beeswax AND pine tar? More intriguing by the minute! A noir set in the deep woods?

But I also have to say that I really appreciate you making purse spray sizes. They’re not only convenient for travelling, but also convenient price-wise for an exotic scent you enjoy, but aren’t necessarily wearing every day.

Greetings, Kirsten,
    Well, it is birchtar, not pine tar. To be frank: I do not even know whether a pine tar exists. I wonder what it would smell like ;-)

5. Kirsten says:

Doh! Birch tar! That’s what I get for typing before my morning coffee. :)

6. alabaster cheeks says:

Reminds me when I modelled the mouthpiece for my didgeridoo I got the wax from a local beekeeper
    Very intrigued to where this is leading

7. Kev says:

Curious: What do you think of Dior’s Leather and Oud? It’s loaded with beeswax (and a bit of birch tar, I think)

8. ANDY says:

Oh wow, Alabaster Cheeks
    you did your own digeridoo! Amazing.

9. Stephan says:

Is this dark, animalic beewax the antipode to the sunshine filled honey note in Zeta? Getting curious to know what you’re up to.

10. I am all for more purse sprays! And the beeswax sounds divine!

I must say the lead-up to new announcements and/or launches is so exciting… I love getting hints.

11. Persolaise says:

So… is this perfume going to be the older brother of Antaeus??

12. ANDY says:

Good evening, Stephan, getting you and your fellow perfume lovers curious is my goal here :-)
    Sending you fragrant hugs.

13. ANDY says:

I am glad you do, Breathesgelatin!
    More tomorrow…. with fragrant greetings!

Persolaise, I`m w/ you!! ;-) Since we are posting about the `dark` side of scent, the Pet Shop Boys` “West End Girls“!! :-0

15. Monica H. says:

Such a tease…. as ALWAYS =)

16. claude says:

This is very exciting! I’ve only smelled beeswax in a few compositions. My grandfather used to swear by it for polishing an oak table he loved, so it has very good associations for me. I look forward to seeing what you cook up!

Fragrant greetings, Monica H.
    my pleasure :-) !!

good morning, Claude, thank you for your interest. For me, beeswax is linked to our neighbor who used to harvest honey and fill the house with the smell of fresh beeswax-honey-ambra… in my composition, the beeswax is only a fine line, leading over to the heart, though….

West End Girls! Love this song.
    Maybe another one that might work: BEE gees , night fever :-)))

20. Khalid says:

Always had the impression (not sure if I’m right) that beeswax is what makes Antaeus so mysteriously lovely… Beeswax in your hand Andy is very exciting. Looking forward!

Hmm… that’s an interesting thought. I am not sure, though. It never came to my mind. :-)