helpinghand

ugly nacked neck

July 21st, 2010

Yesterday, I did another mix for 25 liters, pouring and weighing all ingredients together, warming some of  them in water bath first (like oak moss that is really sticky and hardly flows at room temperature). Over the next few lots and for some perfumes: part of this mixing will be outsourced, already is. The actual mixing is done by the company providing me with raw materials. It is less about the actual work, but more on the economy of stock keeping and managing space to store the raw materials.  Some perfumes, however, will remain in  my hands for a while…And while mixing yesterday, I learned again why this is. It is such a deep immersion into the world of scent. Imagine: You open the 250 ml aluminum bottle with rose absolute from Bulgary. You pour it into a big can, through a funnel and immerse your already soaked nose: Total rose candy, sweet honey, clove buds exploding, a shower of pink petals, sticky lemonade, and cat pee. Thus, I really enjoy this immersion and do not want to miss part of this work.

But it is a fact, and Vladimir mentioned it the other day, and I mentioned it to the W.-factor the other day: I have reached a point where I could not do all by myself anymore. I have become dependent on some helping hands. Two of these you see on the picture.

They put two black high durability rings over the pump (you see one of these rings  in right corner), after crimping, using the manual flanging machine that makes the pump stick to the flacon. This flanging leaves a little ugly naked crimped metal neck between flacon and pump head. The rings cover this aesthetic sensitive area. Just and only for aesthetic reasons. One day, I will need to make a “making of” video, showing all the little steps. And some helping hands….

17 Responses to “ugly nacked neck”

1. Persolaise says:

A ‘making of’ video would be very welcome.

Are we allowed to know which scents are still made by you at home? And what’s the thinking behind deciding which ones are ‘outsourced’ and which ones are made in Tauerville?

Sure, Persolaise
    the Carillon pour un ange and the Rose vermeille were mixed externally. And so will the next back of l’air du désert marocain. And the next batch of une rose chypree.
    parameters are: sales volume and difficulty to source materials that go into the composition. The later was actually the prime factor to look into it as it is easier for my supplier to keep stock than for me.
    I forgot to mention: The dilution, maturation, filtration etc remains in Tauerville. Enjoy your day!

3. sae says:

yes someday , id love to see such a video , the process of making, a journey . enjoy the pouring smell~

4. Vladimir says:

Dear Andy, – if you are going to use further a foreign labour – I is ready to come tearing along on the first signal:), and I am very accurate and pedantic:)

5. Marianne says:

Everything is made with so much care, eye for detail and so much patience and love… how could anybody not want to own at least one perfume from the Tauerhouse!?

6. Till says:

Hey Andy, that reminds me of a Renaissance Painters Workshop… Did you know that parts of Tizian’s paintings where painted by his students? ;-) So, where is the form to fill out for becoming a Tauer-Student ;-) ?!
    Sunny Regards, Till

7. Jen says:

Hi Andy, it’s true–and even the best chefs have sous-chefs. Nothing wrong with a little delegating as long as the heart of the matter still comes from the chef! :) Have a great day.

AMEN! to Jen, and a grin to Till and Vladimir :-) !! I still wonder how you don`t feel a bit drunk when pouring!! I saw the new, 45th amendment from the IFRA – would you be kind and translate this to us laypeople?? Music-wise – I know of Kevin Yost from our Jazz station – WCLK 91.9 FM!! (This is no small feat when only 9 jazz stations remain in the USA, and we are of the VERY fortunate few of those 9 to be live broadcast 24/7!!) SILVIA – how are Jicky and Johnny, and what fragrant and gourmand treats grow in your garden??? You and Andy could combine forces and write a best-selling cookbook – w/ Andy`s photos, some would be buying it just to LOOK, and maybe gingerly try to cook after that!! :-0 :-)

Yes, Till, I need to work on this registration form… ;-)

and Vladimir, I see that I get a working permit for you, but… I am a smoke free working environment. Do you think you can handle this ;-)

Actually, Hotlanta Linda, I think my Lily Of The Valley Ebook project is enough these days… Still waiting for more contributions to come in…what song could go with lily of the valley?

Oh, Marianne, there are a few out there, still mourning for the old flacon ;-)

And Jen: The W.-factor likes the idea of being sous-chef!

QUEEN – Lily-of-the-Valley!!! Written by the great and never late Freddie M. – CHECK YOUR E_MAIL – you have a link to YouTube!! :-)

13. Roberto says:

ciao Andy, reading this post the only thing i can say is that i agree with you: pouring and mixing by your own makes all things different. is like that something of you goes right into the juice….it is always a pleasure for the mind and soul…the alchemic part of the job, nothing related to chemistry (strictly talking)..
    by the way, if you need help wistle loud, i am only 5 hour oaway from Zurich….;-)
    ciao
    Roberto

got it!

15. Vladimir says:

Andy, I am oath I promise, not to smoke in working environment:-)

16. Devon Hernandez says:

I would LOVE to see a making-of video from you Andy! I hope we get to see one when you have time to make one for us! :)

I’ve got another submission for the LOV “song” – Pink Martini’s “Lilly” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NcmcJT3Ddg&feature=related

17. Monica Skye says: