fishpoison

poison pour les poissons

October 4th, 2010

Continuing there where I stopped last week: Today’s pictures shows you a snapshot, dated from last week, taken on my mixing bench in the studio room. Mixing of eau d’épices. You see: We mix the eau d’épices fragrance for you, by hand, working with the oils and resins and powders, combining them in a large container and then let them sit for a month, to mature and get ready for dilution.

Ambreine is the stuff in the large aluminum bottle, with the red label, saying “fish poison”…By the way: Ambreine is an all natural extract from Cistus ladaniferus and I am not really sure whether it is a danger for the environment. I guess it is if you pour 10 liters down the sink. As always: It is the amount that matters.

In French fish poison translates to “poison pour les poissons” which is kind of cool. I love, love, love French, but I find it so hard to speak. I guess I need to train myself for a day or so when back from London next week.

Because, because… I  go and visit Grenoble in France in 2 weeks.

Exiting.

12 Responses to “poison pour les poissons”

1. Persolaise says:

A rare glimpse at the Tauerville lab!

I’m very jealous of your trip to France. I can never get enough of the place.

Good morning, Persolaise
    no reason for jealousy. … it is a business one-day trip. But exciting, nevertheless :-)

3. jen says:

Hi Andy, it’s cool to think that your creative, vibrant and unique perfumes originate in those cold, sterile and scientific bottles. That’s where your artistic touch comes in to make a work of art. :)

4. Pär says:

Ah oué, le français est vraiment la plus belle langue, n’est-ce pas?

I do wish I could go to Grenoble as well. My girlfriend lived there once when she was studying, well, french ;). I gotta say I’m more curious about the swiss language known in english as romansh. Do many people in Switzerland actually speak that language as their native?

And I have to agree with jen, it’s difficult to imagine beauty coming from those bottles, though it seems you have a nice view from that window.

5. Stephan says:

The French saying goes something like this: Manger des poissons sans boisson, c’est du poison. Meaning to eat fish without taking a beverage can be toxic, which wants to say, eating fish without a glass of nice wine is a sin. Oh, how much I’d like to travel once again in the French country side to enjoy the fabulous food. Vivre comme Dieu en France!

6. Elisa says:

Poison pour les Poissons would be a good, cheeky name for an Ambreine-heavy perfume, perhaps from Etat Libre d’Orange? :)

7. Marianne says:

Andy, it’s a beautiful trip from Geneva to Grenoble.. In 2007 I made a trip by car with my husband from Prague to the Cote d’Azur. We did it in two days with a stopover in Aix-les-Bains. We thoroughly enjoyed our ride! We passed by Grenoble the next day. . It is defenitely no punishment to drive from Zurich to Grenoble :-)

Dear Jen and Pär
    first on the bottles: The beauty is inside! But I know exactly what you mean. I once showed a journalist around and she was sooooo disappointed to see the aluminum bottles. Probably she expected glass and wooden tons. :-)
    By the way Rumantsch is still spoken, but it is not a lot of Swiss guys and girls. But we try to keep it alive.

Yes Stephan, that IS a great saying and they are so right about their wine and dine culture!

Oh yes, dear Marianne, I know this corner from this summer’s biking trip (although we left Grenoble on the side), from Geneva to the Mediterranean sea. I can imagine worse trips ;-)

And Elisa, I love, love , love your idea!

Ok, w/ the NICE view from your window coupled w/ the UGLY thought of poisoned fishes, there is one, and only one tune that immediately popped into my head – the James Bond movie theme “A View to a Kill“ by Duran Duran!! (ouch! :-0 )

Good evening, Hotlanta Linda
    This recommendation of today I know! Ha! Actually, the view is nice. We see even a bit of the mountains (if sort of bending out of the window) in weather like today (winds from the South). The coffee machine is just about 10 steps away!

11. Vintage Lady says:

It says that it can cause a toxic sensitiveness for water organisms in a long term.
    It’s all interesting this article and Grenoble is a very beautiful place!

Good morning Vintage Lady (nice name, btw)
    I hope I will have a minute time for Grenoble!