lookingback

on the perfume MIRIAM for Tableau de Parfums

June 27th, 2011

looking back is not always easy. Proportions fall apart and perspectives change. Looking back is like walking through a dark tunnel and the longer the tunnel is the smaller everything looks on the other side.

The perfume MIRIAM that I created a while ago for Tableau de Parfums is a perfume where we look back and walk through this tunnel. On the other side, we discover a vintage like fragrance that I once described as bitter sweet memories of days long gone. For a detailed description by Brian: Have a look at Evelyn Avenue’s store page here.

Miriam is a fragrance that you could have smelled in the forties or fifties. Imagine a natural green aldehydic powdery tea rose, think light blue violet flowers, and green animalic, dry and earthy mossy violet leaves, think Mysore sandalwood. Actually, without going to much in to technical details: I use a violet leave absolute  that I get from Biolandes and that is just wonderful. It is such a joy that you can still get these naturals today. As almost all good things in life it is quite expensive. It fits perfectly with my vision of how MIRIAM is supposed to smell. It has this vintage aspect. One reason is of course that you do not get a lot of fragrances these days where violet leaves are used in detectable amounts.

There is a scene in the movie that I have seen when creating the fragrance, where Miriam sprays a bit of perfume in to the room and goes “ahhhhh”. I wanted to create a perfume that brings about this effect. It makes you go “ahhhh”. And it fills the room, discreetly.

Today’s picture shows you a look through a keyhole in Rome.

Miriam will launch in early October in Los Angels at Luckyscent . I will not make it available on my Tauer website, but rather on Evelyn Avenue, and Luckyscent, as Luckyscent has supported our projects and made it all possible.

12 Responses to “on the perfume MIRIAM for Tableau de Parfums”

1. Tama says:

Miriam sounds wonderful. I anticipate that the vintage perfume lovers will be all over it. I am looking forward to the movie, as well.

I heard Frederic Malle speak the other day and he mentioned that he was working on a scent that he didn’t think would ever be released, that it would just be an inside joke for perfumers, because he couldn’t imagine anyone today wearing it. I imagined that it would have a very vintage aroma to it, maybe animalic. He’s wrong about people not wearing scents like that – might be a small percentage, though. We’ll see what he does.

Fragrant greetings, Tama
    I have the highest appreciation for Frederic Malle and his way of working and building his brand. It is a close-to-perfect brand.
    But I am so certain that the longer the more, especially here in Europe, perfume lovers long for vintage like fragrances. A small percentage, yes, maybe. But it is these connoisseurs that we talk to….

3. Persolaise says:

If you don’t mind my saying so, you’re very good at creating a ‘vintage’ vibe, Andy, so I expect Miriam works well. Perhaps one day I’ll get to try it.

And I’m a huge admirer of the Malle line too; in all the best senses of the word, it is a real ‘set’.

4. Marianne says:

Goodmorning Andy,

My scentmemory goes way back to the ’50s and when watching a scene with Miriam I had an idea what kind of perfume she could be wearing and I think your choice of violets is quite good Andy.

From the FM line I especially love Angeliques Sous La Pluie and La Chasse aux Papillons, Iris Poudre on the other hand is way too powerful and vintage to me.

Dear Persolaise
    I do not mind at- vintage vibe is quite a compliment :-)

Good morning,dear Marianne
    I am glad that I got the violet right ;-)
    have a fragrant day!

7. waftbycarol says:

my lips are sealed , but my nose got a whiff and hoo boy…love.WANT…NEED… !

8. andy says:

Oh great, waftbycarol!
    one question: did you sense the vintage aspect?

9. Fernando says:

This does sound very nice, Andy. I’m definitely the kind of person who likes the vintage feel. Did you manage to use actual Mysore sandalwood?

Good evening, Fernando
    indeed, yes: I am using natural sandalwood (s. alba) from Mysore. I use this quality together with a quality of Sandalwood spicatum from Australia. 1 part of Sandalwood from Mysore, 3 parts of Sandalwood from Australia. The total of these two sandalwood essential oils is 10% of the total fragrance mixture. This means: 1.5% of the volume in the fragrance is natural sandalwood….
    That may not sound like a lot, but it actually is a lot.
    Fragrant greetings!

Sorry to have missed posting comment – but not missing reading! – yesterday`s post!! All things Miriam sound like a smooth, very softly sweet and sensual scent – NIIIIIICE!! :-) How about Tony Bennett crooning away for the music??? Hope that getting the nerve up to release more vintage style scents to the perfume counters will awaken those customers stuck on candy, fruit/patch, and ozone only scents to a wonderful `new` world of real perfume beauties that are class acts!! :-)

12. ANDY says:

Fragrant greetings, Hotlanta Linda
    RE: awaking perfume lovers from fruity patch dreams/nightmares… let us hope for best :-)