scentstriprose

not even an oligarch can get it

November 21st, 2011

Today, I finished another rose mix that will go into the molten glycerine soap, that will go into the soap pouring frame, allowing me to pour 48 soaps at once and come up with soap bars. Rose scented soap bars. The mixture is actually quite simple, consisting of 10 ingredients, rose absolute (r. damascena from Bulgaria), Bergamot essential oil and geranium (Bourbon quality) being the naturals.

This soap like all my soaps cannot be bought. It is made to exist in the moment, as a gift and a sign of appreciation, for special moments. And -to be frank- from a commercial point of view these soaps would not make sense. Too much work  goes into the preparation of them, too much expensive raw material is inside. In a sense, these soaps are the most luxurious product I have. It is so luxurious that not even an oligarch can get it, if you know what I mean.

Right now, I am still sitting at home, writing these lines, but as soon as they disappear in the e-universe and as soon as the paper to wrap the soaps later is printed (my printer is not keeping up with my speed) I will ride my bike to hit the little 2 room factory of mine and start melting and pouring. And thinking about Wednesday. Then I will be in Oldenburg (yes…where is Oldenburg? Think  Bremen and move a bit more to the West) and will try to make sense on the topic “Perfumery, manufacturing, composing and creative venture”. Sort of. It is a Duftsalon, a getting together, scheduled for Wednesday, 19.30, with perfume lovers, organized by the Duftcontor in Oldenburg. One of the few German hotspots for selective perfumes and perfumery. Actually, I am really, really looking forward to this.

I will for sure bring a rose absolute with me, to show to the perfume loving crowd.

Thus, I am sitting here with my little scent strip, dipped into the rose concentrate soap mixture and I wish I had a touch more time right now. I would love, love, love so much to play a bit with it: play on the lines of a rose fragrance with this rose at is center, aldehydic, with hints of maybe tuberose in the head, a hint of muscs and woods, a trace of sandalwood maybe….

21 Responses to “not even an oligarch can get it”

1. AromaX says:

Andy is pouring his soaps again. That means the winter is coming and much more surprises later :) Ah, those good old habbits are so addictive…
    Ah, those limited edition products of Tauer Perfumes like december soaps are a bit frustrating as you can’t always get on them, but… they teach a good lesson about a perfumery – it’s all about moments – enjoy when you get it and don’t expect it to last forever…

BTW – rose and tuberose. Have you smelled Chapter 7 by Tammy Frazer?
    Have a good week and enjoy the Smelly Corner ;)

YES, AromaX
    It is the season again…our whole life is about moments, they come to pass and never come back.
    And no, haven’t smelled no 7 , yet…
    Enjoy your moment…

3. jen says:

Ah, Andy’s soaps, maybe one day I’ll be able to smell and enjoy one. No doubt a lot of love and care go into making them!

4. Persolaise says:

The rose soap sounds like heaven.

I’d love it if an oligarch read your blog and said, “I’ll take all 48 bars. Name your price.”

Enjoy the scent event!

Sure, Jen
    One fine day you will smell and enjoy the foam of one of them… There are a lot give-away draws on the horizon :-)

Ha, Persolaise!
    I wonder what my would be for Mr Gates and alike… :-)

7. civava says:

“Waste of soap” for people who can’t appreciate that. For some, it is just priceless. Especially if one can enjoy in small pleasures.

8. rosarita says:

I enjoy the mental picture that this post provides; the love that is poured into your soaps! Perfume lovers are such sensualists, aren’t we? Making every moment as pleasurable as we can.

9. Marianne says:

You’re teasing us Andy! !

10. Style Spy says:

Andy, your soaps sound divine. I hope to lather up with one someday.

I read this article this morning and thought of you. Not that I imagine you’re going to do it, but just in case you were ever tempted…

i met once a naked hiker…Call me oldfashioned: I like my alpine hiker with clothes and my alpine goats without clothes. And then: it is always the wrong guys who walk around naked
    ;-)

12. Pär says:

This soap does sound lovely, and very much perfect for the darker days this time of year offers. It’s very sensible that this is the season for giving (and receiving), how else would we get through the dark days. This year I will be celebrating Christmas in the north of Sweden. Those days the sun won’t even grace the horizon with it’s presence; only bring us that little bit of light we need to know it still exists.

Best wishes to you all!

wow, pär. I admire all who can cope with that. If I was living up there I would either not get out of bed all day or get depressed. At least a bit. Here’s to the sun returning!

14. Undina says:

I really like the idea of something being so unique and unreachable, and especially when it’s not the price that makes it such. Please, don’t sell them even if Mr. Gates asks you to! ;)

15. Lynne says:

“I would love, love, love so much to play a bit with it: play on the lines of a rose fragrance with this rose at is center, aldehydic, with hints of maybe tuberose in the head, a hint of muscs and woods, a trace of sandalwood maybe….” Oh yes please do!

16. Natalie says:

I love that you create something that cannot be bought, and can only be given — out of love.

SWOON at the ingredient list for a new `baby`of a rose scent – I second Lynne!!! :-) “The Yellow Rose of Texas“for you to create by! Good luck for a clear head and lots of inspiration at the meeting!!

Oh, thanks so. Uch, Hotlanta Linda, highly appreciated!

19. dorie says:

Soaps are one of my favorite simple pleasures. The other day I wanted a small olfactory treat + went to a store that sells a nice variety of individual scented bars. Your post really appealed to me!

20. Vladimir says:

Dear Andy, so – again comes nearer Christmas – or you tell a blog about an anniversary?
    Have remarkable day!

21. quimerula says:

Just to say that I’m drooling at the idea:
    “this rose at is center, aldehydic, with hints of maybe tuberose in the head, a hint of muscs and woods, a trace of sandalwood maybe…”