95 % of orange peel oil (sweet quality, Florida or Messina) is Limonene. Isn’t this amazing. In the remaining 5% must be the components that make sweet orange oil unique, because limonene alone smells like a neutral citrus. Think household cleaner.
I got samples of two qualities of sweet orange peel oil: one from Florida and one Messina. The later is a bit more bitter and zestier. The Florida quality is a bit sweeter. In the certificate of analysis you find a few other components besides limonene, such as Pinene, Sabinene, Myrcene, Ocatanal (=fruits), Decanal, Linalool, Citral, Citronellol, Geraniol. And these are just the most important components (and also EU allergenes).
This is the fascination of working with natural essential oils: They are so complex. And then there is grapefruit, there is lime, there is yuzu and mandarines, and clementines. Take the same Limonene at high percentage and add a few other its and bits and you end up with a grapefruit or a lemon peel oil. Isn’t his amazing?
You see: I am in a full blown citrus phase these days. One reason: I am planning the annual scent apero in December in the back of my mind, thinking “CITRUS”.
Today’s picture: A scan of a lemon. Enjoy!