crimpinghead

Oriental carpet

July 23rd, 2010

After yesterday’s comments on folks biting nails and sweating in anticipation of scent No12-EAU D’ÉPICES (which will, by the way, hit the shelves in 50 ml flacons, as part of the CLASSICS line, after September), I feel sort of motivated to pour and crimp No. 12.  Yesterday, the spicy water got a filtration finish. Not much to filter, though!

There are fragrances that are a pain to filter. It is the resins like Tonka resin, or vanilla CO2 extracts, or concrètes like rose concrète that a trouble makers. Rose concrète is a good example: This is the stuff that you (they) produce by extracting rose petals with organic solvents. These organic solvents dissolve the aromatic molecules and a lot of natural waxes out from the rose petals. When the organic solvent is distilled off, the concrète, a waxy resinous mix is what you end with. This concrète can then be extracted with ethanol, leading to the absolute, leaving the waxes off, and some of the fragrant molecules. Hence, the concrète is sort of closer to the original than the absolute.And so is the CO2 extract. A concrète is heaven to smell, but hell to work with, except for soaps or solid perfumes or perfumes on oil base.  Actually, a rose soap with rose concrète would be soap heaven, for sure…

Anyhow: The scent No 12 is ready, sitting in its 12.5 liter can waiting to be pushed (I have a 10 liter manual liquid dispenser for that) into flacons. The picture, by the way, shows you a detail shot, looking from the bottom upwards – kind of a flacon perspective-  into the crimping mechanism of my manual flanging (crimping) tool. The little metal dents fix the pump onto the glass of the flacon. Overall: A wonderful, highly repetitive work. Perfect for a meditative day dream on an oriental carpet with lots and lots of spices.

18 Responses to “Oriental carpet”

1. Kelly says:

You know I’m jumping out of my spicy skin on this one! A dream come true! Love and hugs to you, Andy.

2. Persolaise says:

That picture reminds me of the deadly weapon in No Country For Old Men. I’m glad it’s being put to a less destructive use in Tauerville.

3. Vladimir says:

The dozen, it a lot of or a little?:-)
    I so am intrigued and curious about scent No 12

Good morning to you, Kelly
    I had high hopes to see you here today… fragrant spicy orange flower hugs to you.

Persolaise: I remember this movie. That was a tough one to watch… I prefer my flanging tool to a deadly weapon, although I am trained to use both, being Swiss and being and (ex) army guy in the Swiss army…

Oh Vladimir, actually, 12 is just a beginning. I guess I stop when I reach 99 for design reasons ;-)

5. Jen says:

Hi Andy, have you told us what kind of perfume No 12 is going to be like? And does that mean that solid perfumes are more “true” to the fragrance than edts and edps? If so why do so few perfumers make solid perfumes? Have a great Friday.

Hi Jen
    No 12 is the eau d’épices. Solid perfumes actually are not more true. Solid perfumes are just different and allow to use resinous, colored raw materials easier than ethanol based perfumes. The way the fragrance develops, however, can be quite different, compared to solvent based scents. …

7. Persolaise says:

Okay, okay, okay, stop the press… YOU WERE IN THE ARMY??!?!

Was this as part of National Service or was it voluntary?

And why haven’t we yet had Eau De Combat? Or Combat Extreme?

Oh, sure, Persolaise,
    I was doing my (back then) obligatory duty for my country. Back then all men had to go, except it was physically not possible.
    I was lucky, though. I was a field corpsman, one of the guys who picks together on battle fields what is left and worth picking up and bringing back to the field hospitals. I was an ambulance driver, and as medic I had only to carry with me a little gun, like the police has it. Not the automatic riffle thing.
    combat zone might do the trick. Yep…

forgot to mention. Overall I did 300 days in the army.
    love COMBAT ZONE!

10. quimerula says:

Dear Andy,
    you probably won’t remember this, but I bought a sample of Une Rose Chypree and right after receiving it I did two things: ordered a bottle, and contacted you to thank you about the lovely postcard of Zurich that was sent to me along with the sample. After that I started reading your blog and feeling very melancholic about Switzerland…
    Guess what: I’ve just booked! My mother and I will be going for the feasts (from July 31st to August 4th) to Thun! I am so happy!
    Now I will see if I can buy a bottle of your lovely Carillon to take it with me. But please tell me it’s got some mandarin, because my nose is tricking me and it’s driving me crazy!

Hugs, Andy, and thank you very much.

Persolaise – :-0 :-) :-):=0 , you crack me up!!! You make me think of the 80`s fashion/scent that did not match up – BIG floral and oriental scents next to combat/military brass uniform fashions. Andy, Sting`s “Desert Rose“ and Alanis`s “Thank You“ for your hard-working tasks while seated on the oriental rugs!

12. Devon Hernandez says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSS!!! SO happy to hear Eau D’epices is coming out shortly!!! I won’t have to greedily hoard my sample too much longer! :D

Do we have a date yet, after September? This baby is going on the calendar! MMMM daydreaming on an oriental carpet with lots of spices….makes me think of the Spice Trail/Silk Road.

Oh, wow, Quimerula
    Welcome to Switzerland.
    Guess what: While you are here I am off for France, (cycling)!
    about the mandarin: I am sooooo sorry. Zero mandarin. And also nothing similar: No clementine, no citrus, no nothing of anything citrussy. I am sorry.
    Please mail me if you need help in Switzerland!

Hotlanta Linda
    you know me: My Combat Zone will be really a tough one. Actually, it could be the scent of the eternal combat zone between /of the sexes.

15. Persolaise says:

Hotlanta, it’s always a pleasure putting a smile on people’s faces. I confess I wasn’t aware of the fashion/scent combo you mention, but it sounds like the sort of thing that would have appeared in the 80s.

Great, Devon, that you saved your sample! Here is my little private time plan: I show the fragrance officially in Florence, a little priviledge for my beloved Italian perfume lovers. ;-)
    And then, then I go home from Florence and will be exhausted and put my legs on the table and relax. And then, towards the end of September, the first shipment will leave Switzerland for the US. And I will fall into melancholy (see comment of Quimerula) and start dreaming my “I want to fly to the US again” dream and will probably book my spring flight to LA. Sigh!

17. Devon Hernandez says:

LOL sounds like you will definitely need to put your legs up and relax! I’ll look forward to seeing it come October then! :)

Any East Coast trip dreams/plans? I think LA needs to share you ;)

18. quimerula says:

I knew my nose was tricking me!

Thank you very much, Andy.
    I just can’t wait to see the fireworks over the lake.