tulip1

simple calculations on samples

April 2nd, 2012

This spring is absolutely stunning and under an immaculate blue sky all kind of flowers are popping up and shine in brightest colors. It is wonderful and a plentiful compensation for a cold winter that did quite some damage to a lot of plants. Today’s picture shows you one of these beauties, slightly overexposed with the purpose to bring out its contours.

Besides me telling where I am traveling, sharing some pictures and thoughts of the day,  this blog fulfills the function to explain what creating perfumes is all about and what presenting perfumes to the world is all about. One part of presenting perfumes are samples, especially when you are a little indie perfume house and work as a 1.5 man show from a tiny little factory somewhere in Zurich consisting of two rooms. Samples are a way of presenting my creations to perfume lovers who live far from a perfumery that has my line. And for some, samples are a way of getting my scents because the investments for a full bottle are too large.

For me, personally, it was always important, never to move into a corner where I am bling bling, becoming super expensive by adding a $ or two for my packing and then selling stuff for 300$ or more. Technically, I could. Since I do what I do, I tried to stay in a territory where you can afford my products and I wanted to be approachable, by offering samples that are affordable, too. And I want the experience of my samples to be a part of a larger picture.

Samples are the entry point into a brand, a world, in my case the world of Andy’s scents, and I always wanted the samples to be nice and reflecting the quality of what is inside. Thus, I prefer glass vials to plastic, I offer samples with some information of what’s inside and I try to offer more fragrance than just a little dab.

On the other side: If you are a small artist/creator/business operator like me, then selling samples are not a source of an income,; in the contrary. And I do not produce samples in hundred thousands automatically in China/Vietnam or where ever, in pre-labelled glass vials, that then go out to shops where sales assistants can give them away.

I need to label the glass vials by hand, put in the juice by hand, put the vials into boxes, handle the shopping cart interface and confirm orders, fill out CN22 custom forms, print shipment labels, sometimes do commercial invoices (yes, for a sample…), put samples into a shipment envelope, and post them and sometimes send with registered mail to countries where the post is not reliable.

Yesterday, before going to bed, I tried to diagonally follow a thread on Fragrantica.com, where perfume lovers discuss samples and their pricing. I did not read in detail, but realized that the discussion is very broad and covers many aspects, hence it is worth sharing here. I figured, I can a bit of information, too. Thus, this post. I think it is important to consider that the time to fill and ship a bottle is not equivalent but close to the time of filling and labeling and shipping a sample. When you buy a sample, you pay for what is inside. And for the service of putting it all together and out.

22 Responses to “simple calculations on samples”

1. Monica H. says:

Hi Andy,
    For someone that split perfumes among my friends I totally see and massively appreciated the huge amount of effort you put into your samples. Thank you if that hasn’t been said enough =)

Monica

Fragrant greetings, Monica H. Thank you!!!
    Yes, right: I think everyone who does a lot of splits and ships internationally knows how much effort goes into samples :-) I sometimes wish we could just beam them over….

3. Khalid says:

I agree this is time & cost consuming, but thanks for the effort Andy, as your samples introduced me to those beautiful perfumes… Smelling my 1st sample some time ago made me get my 1st Tauer bottle (my birthday present from my 9-year-old daughter, as she asked me to choose ;-) )… & now that I’ve tried a few more, I decided to get 1 or 2 additional different bottles… so samples are really a great service to your perfume lovers :-)

Fragrant greetings, Khalid
    actually, you hit the nail on its head (like Nick on Twitter). Samples are more a service actually and less a product.
    have a lovely day!

5. Stefanie says:

And it´s worth it. Just a couple of weeks ago, I stumbled on your name, started reading about Tauer, ordered your beautiful little sample-box and now I am completely in love with your work (and a backer of Only Child, too :-) ). Even if I do not know all your fragrances yet. And even if I´m sure that I will not love each and everyone. But in every detail of your work I can see, touch and feel what real love is all about (and real life should be): sense and sensibility, thinking and linking, perfection (german: Vollkommenheit) and care. Thank you – merci vielmals! – for sharing.

6. jen says:

HI Andy, beautiful tulip…spring is in the air. I too am another person who very much appreciates the high quality of samples that you provide. There are other small producers who have great sample packs (Yosh Han springs to mind) and it really does help us as consumers get to know your line better. Being able to afford all the perfumes you make is not possible for me, but having the opportunity to try them all through your generous and informative samples is a great service to us all. Thanks!

Liebe Grüsse, Stefanie
    und vielen Dank. I think we should always thrive towards perfection, but must be careful not to forget that we will never reach it :-)

Dear Jen
    I bought at Bendel’s the last luxury pack by Ineke that they had on the shelf (love!). Dawn Spencer Hurwitz comes to my mind, too. And Mandy Aftel, too!

9. jen says:

Thanks, Andy. I’ll have to keep an eye out for those. I am a big fan of Dawn’s and would like to get to know Ineke’s line better. It’s my impression that all of you are approaching samples in the same spirit.

10. Kirsten says:

Wow! That sounds really labor-intensive. When I got samples from you, I was very impressed with the well-designed packaging, labeling and sampling cards included in your samples, though. A far cry from the little dauber 1ml vials in a plastic baggie.

Actually, when I first tried LADDM, it was in one of those little vials from another retailer, and I didn’t like it. It was waaaay too strong to be dabbed on. I needed to try it a second time, with your spray vials, to fall in love with it. The ID cards are very helpful and the tins keep them very safe from breakage and light.

So, in short, your sample packaging seems head and shoulders above what a lot of perfume retailers do, for not much more money. Your perfumes are definitely worth it, though, so I think you could raise the prices for samples if you needed to.

11. Sebastiano says:

“registered mail to countries where the post is not reliable”
    I fear I can guess at least one ;)

12. TimeaZsofia says:

Dear Andy, I was so lucky, I can buy from a swap partner in Hungary, two of your fantastic fragrances (Pentachord White, and Pentachord Auburn I love PW, definitely on my whislist). And I cannot wait to collect money to by all of your parfume samples! :)

You have the most generously sized and smartly packaged discovery sets OF ANYONE, PERIOD!! To quote Fleetwood Mac “Don`t Stop“ :-)

14. Ursula says:

This link to Fragrantica shows how the world sees you through your samples. The member Udaria is me.
    Thanks for making such a nice collection of samples available in this cute and useful tin box with the sliding cover, ideal for the handbag or travel. I have in mind to get another one to introduce my daughter-in-law to TAUER PERFUMES. Not everybody reads your blog and is familiar with the labor of love that went into the Discovery Set. Greetings, Ursula, your fan.

15. Yvana says:

Andy,

As I was in that discussion too and recently bought 5 samples (thanks to Ursula’s endorsements!) your attention to detail in the beautiful discovery sample set, is really outstanding. It is obvious to me your perfumes are high quality.
    And yes, know what you mean about cost of samples vs bottles.. people have NO idea how expensive samples really are! So, I will keep buying samples for a price that is according to many unknowing people , outrageous. And.. one day when I find my signature fragrance, may buy the ‘economic’ larger bottles ..until then I will keep exploring different scents!

16. sherapop says:

Yours is one of the best sample programs around, Andy, and I love how you attend to the aesthetics of presentation, which makes receiving them an extra treat.

Thank you!

17. jennie says:

I can’t say enough about this discovery set! I love it, and it is so beautifully presented. I have already picked my favorite, and have shared the other samples with friends, and family members, just to make them aware of these beautiful, and unique perfumes! I am also a fragrantica member, and we discuss these perfumes in depth. They are really worth talking about! The thought that goes into them is amazing. The blending of the notes, to create the whole concept of the fragrance, is balanced just right! Love the whole concept, and want to say, Thank you, for your great creations!

18. Florence says:

As many people, I read about you, went to your site and order the samples. It s so easy. I live really far away, argentina, so I had to wait a little. But you now, the day I received the samples, I went to a café with the envelope, ask for the best expresso, to make it a special moment. As soon as I opened it I got really emotional, the little box with those marvellous great original scents! The card with your greetings. It s all about pleasure

Oh thank you, Florence, for sharing your experiences. I am glad it was a pleasurable experience. Merci!

20. Florence says:

So I quickly order Pentacord verdant. I love it so much. But I kept Carillon in my mind and made it mine on a Trip to new York. Yes the samples really worked. And once you enter into Tauer s world you cant forget it, you get the feeling this is made with love and passion. Im a fan now!

21. Florence says:

Thanks to you Andy !

Thank you, Florence!
    Wishing you a nice Sunday evening…